Svetlana Kunin is a Russian immigrant who lived under the boot of socialism for three decades before coming to the United States. She knows socialism when she sees it, and points out that the signs are all there for anyone who cares to look.
Living in a socialist country for 30 years of my life, and required to study the theory of Marxism/Leninism from elementary school through college, I am familiar with some distinct characteristics of socialism. They include:
• Controlling people by making them dependent on government for basics such as medical care, property rights and income.
• Applying separate standards in medical and other services for government employees and acolytes vs. the rest of society.
• Brainwashing the population starting as early as possible with propaganda that is pro-central government and anti-free market capitalism.
• Polarizing society by dividing people into groups by ethnicity.
• Controlling speech, enforcing political correctness and attempting to suppress opposition media.
• Collecting citizens’ personal information using all resources available, including NSA programs.
• Intimidating opposition through Justice Department investigations of journalists, IRS intimidation of groups and individuals who oppose government policies, and information collected on citizens that becomes quite handy.
• Demonizing and destroying the livelihood of anyone — from members of the Tea Party to rodeo clowns — who dares to criticize the president.
• Controlling economic resources via EPA and other regulations despite negative economic consequences.
Read the whole thing, there is much more.
A few news articles today highlight some of the points Kunin made:
The NSA is back in the news for its massive effort to foil internet encryption. Of course, it gets help from many internet companies.
Those are just three links I had open. If I had time I could come up with many more.